Monday, September 14, 2009

They are who we thought they were

Coach Morris has a discussion with Soldier Boy Winslow
I must admit, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had me fooled for a few minutes. With just about a minute left in the 1st half, the Bucs were winning 7-6.  It looked like they would head into the locker room with a lead.  It looked like Coach Raheem Morris's inspiration had worked. The offense looked good. The defense held. I even started thinking that .500 may not be out of the question.

Then the shoe dropped. With 46 seconds left on the clock, Cowboys QB Tony Romo hit Miles Austin for a 42 yard touchdown pass.  And like that, I realized the Buccaneers were who I thought they were. Sevicable on offense, bad on defense.

I have to give Coach Morris credit for getting his team "juiced" for this game. They played way over their heads in the 1st half.  However, the superior talent on the Cowboys eventually overcame any "juice" the Bucs had. The question is: How long can Morris keep the juice flowing? Each time the Bucs lose, the team will find it harder and harder to find that juice. Soon, the players will start turning on the coach to protect their own reputations. How long before we see Kellen Winslow call out Morris? It could be before week 3.

At least the offense passed for a professional squad. Props to Cadillac Williams for showing his ability as a runner. I think he and Derrick Ward make an excellent tandem. I also thought Byron Leftwich did a good job. I expected much less from him, but he was able to come through. Of course, if Jeff Faine is out for any length of time, we could lose Leftwich rather quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment