Monday, September 28, 2009

Let the JJ era begin in Tampa Bay


I'm now officially the president of the Josh Johnson fan club

Update 12:30pm: During his Monday press conference, Coach Raheem Morris named Josh Johnson as the Buccaneers new starting QB. Finally, a decision from Coach Morris that I can stand behnd. Good job, coach! You've taken your first step. Now, don't ever, ever, ever let Byron Leftwich under center again. He's fine as 3rd QB for the rest of the season.

It's over. Three weeks into the season and as far as I'm concerned the Byron Leftwich era for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers is over.  He should never line up behind center again unless he's the only QB left standing. I don't care if he's the most experienced. I don't care if he's suffering because of injuries to his teammates. I don't care that the defense is spotting the other team points by the boatload. I'll I care is that this team is awful and it does no good to start that guy anymore.

What is there to be gained by Leftwich ever throwing a pass again. We know he's not the future of the franchise. We know he's not even the present. We know that the offense has slowed to a crawl the last three weeks. No hustle, no heart. The Bucs offense fooled us a bit on week 1 by giving Dallas a little bit of a game. But, that was all emotion. And that emotion has disappeared. Now, we're left with a team with no leaders, no identity, and no spark. Changes need to be made and it needs to start at the quarterback position.

I think Raheem Morris should make the move to Josh Johnson this week. What does he have to lose? They've already made the decision to sit Freeman for awhile, so I suggest that he give some snaps to Josh Johnson. He can't be any worse than what we saw from Leftwich yesterday.  He may even be able to provide a little emotion or a little spark like he did yesterday. Sure, he has plenty to learn and I understand the Giants were playing soft when he came in yesterday. But, I think it's worth a look. Give the kid a chance. What's the worse that can happen? He loses. The Bucs are already losing. Maybe he can even allow Morris to keep the other Josh on the sideline for a little longer.

No matter what a change needs to be made. This team is awful and Morris will start losing this team rea quickly if he doesn't make and effort at changes. I still wonder how Chucky would be faring this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment