Thursday, September 3, 2009

Life after Chucky: The grass isn't always greener. Bucs fire OC.


Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse at One Buc Place under the new regime, they have to go and fire their offensive coordinator just days before the 4th preseason game.

Look, I don't know the details. All I know is that the Bucs said they've dismissed Jeff Jagodzinski. Head Coach Raheem Morris is scheduled a news conference at noon. But, does it really matter what he says? This team is in shambles and it's obvious. From the moment the Bucs fired Chucky, this is the kind of thing we've seen over and over again from a regime that seems in way over its head.

For my part, I just shake my head. For the past 3 years, the chorus of fans calling for Chucky's head grew louder and louder.  Having one of the best coaches in the NFL wasn't enough, some fans wanted change. Nothing Chucky did seemed right. If the Bucs won, it was the players. If the Bucs lost, it was Chucky's fault. It was as if Chucky beat their dog or something.

Now, we're left with the aftermath.  We have a head coach who doesn't look like he knows what he's doing. We have a general manager who hasn't learned the fine art of running a team yet. We have a team that can't decide on a quarterback.  We have guys in the secondary who can't keep out of trouble. And we get Offensive coordinators who are shown the door right before the season starts.

For the first time since the Bucs moved into Raymond James Stadium, I have absolutely no expectations for this team. It's a sad feeling. And it's a feeling that seem to be pretty prevalent among Bucs fans.

I ask you: Would you feel like this if Chucky was running this team today?

I know I'd be arguing with fans from the other NFC South teams about how the Bucs were going to take care of business this year.

1 comment:

  1. Chucky's reaction is priceless (from TBO):

    "I just got fired from Tampa Bay, so I'm sensitive to that. It's a strange situation," Gruden said during a conference call today to Monday Night Football, where he now works as an analyst. "I know Tampa Bay has a lot of really good players, I can attest to that. I can swear on the stand they are a talented football team.

    "It's strange. It's uncommon because all I've read is how excited they were about the acquisition of Coach Jags."

    That's the best tongue-in-cheek Chucky line -- "All I've read is how excited they were about the acquisition of Coach Jags," as if Chucky knew he would be a disaster.

    ReplyDelete