Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Do you miss Chucky, yet?


Hey you. Yes, I'm talking to you. I'm talking to the fan who wanted Chucky out of town. I'm talking to the fan that has been complaining about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers since 2003. I'm talking to the fan who couldn't stand Jon Gruden. I'm talking to the fan who thought Gruden won with Tony Dungy's team. I'm talking to the fan who actually rooted for the team to lose, so they could call louder for a new coach. I'm talking to the fan who thought that all the Bucs needed was a new coach and a new direction. I'm talking to the fan who gave Monte Kiffen all the credit for the wins, and blamed Jon Gruden for all the losses. Yes, I'm talking to you. Do you miss Chucky, yet?

I'm guessing those fans don't miss Chucky too much, but I sure do. This team is like a rudderless ship. As Martin Fennelly of TBO put so succinctly, "This team stinks like Leeman Bennett and Richard Williamson." That's right, after 2 games I officially calling this regime the 2nd coming of the Bennett and Williamson days. To be sure, it's not all Raheem Morris's fault. I actually feel sorry of the guy. The Bucs are playing in the NFL with one hand tied behind the back.  For some reason, the team is well below the salary cap and seem to like it that way.

With all the hemming and hawing about Gruden and Allen, it looks as though the culprits may have been higher up on the food chain. Give Chucky credit, he did what he could with what he had. He even was willing to stick around and not call out ownership. He even took the blame for them.  But now, the curtain is revealed.  And much like the days of Bucco Bruce, the team won't be able to lure a coach of Chucky's caliber here anymore.  Morris will probably flounder a few years before the next sacrificial lamb is brought in. Get used to it Bucs fans. This team is bad and it isn't getting better anytime soon.,

1 comment: