Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I know John Lynch. Sabby, you're no John Lynch


Nothing gets my blood boiling quicker than yet another comparison between Sabby Piscitelli and Tampa Bay Buccaneer great John Lynch.  After Sabby's performance on Sunday, I thought all that kind of garbage could've been put to rest. But, leave it to Times columnist Gary Shelton to apologize for Sabby through Lynch.

In an article this morning. Shelton wrote how Lynch understands Sabby's pain . No thanks, Gary. I'm not buying.

Ever since Sabby was drafted in 2007, fans have been looking for Sabby to become the next John Lynch. I mean it's obvious they're the same guy, right? They're both white and they both play safety.  To me, that's where the comparison ends.

Sabby is no John Lynch. If you noticed last year, the Bucs defense dropped off dramatically every time Jermaine Phillips was hurt and the Sabby had to fill in. Not only does he get burnt, I've also seen him get blown up at the line. I've seen him take bad angles. And I've seen him make boneheaded plays like running into a punter.

Say what you want, but I don't think John Lynch ever ran into a punter. I don't think John Lynch ever got his teammates so upset that they started punching the bench.

The scary part of this whole discussion is that Coach Raheem Morris decided to try the Jermaine Phillips to linebacker experiment just to get Sabby more playing time. Makes you wonder what he's watching? It also makes you wonder just how bad Will Allen is that he can't be Sabby out.

No comments:

Post a Comment